Sunday, March 23, 2014

Chuckanut 2014 - Not my first time at this rodeo

This past Saturday I travelled to Bellingham with Sarah, Stacie and Daryl to run Chuckanut 50km.  This was my 4th time competing in this event.  Chuckanut is a competitive and relatively fast early season race.  I always seem to feel a bit behind in terms of training, compared to the costal runners.  Coming from Kelowna, the trails are just getting clear of snow.

This year I had a different approach to the race.  I wanted a steady strong effort and good finish but really wanted and needed a confidence booster.  I was coming off a DNF (I had dropped HURT due to medical reasons) and last year my racing was sporadic due to injuries.  I wasn't ready to lay it all out.

The race starts with a fairly flat 11km to the first aid station.  I reached the station in 4th (female).  Not too bad, I felt good and was chatting to my new running friend, Al.  After this section, the trail branches to single track climbing, not too steep, but steep enough the quads feel it.  Al took off on me flying up the hills.  This is not my best section, I could see other runners catching my up the switch backs.  I reached the next aid station and started to climb a steady road for 2 km or so and dropped to 6th female.  

Photo credit Glenn Tachiyama - heading down to aid station 2.
The thoughts started, I need to train more on hills, I need to work more on tempo, but this year instead of holding these thoughts I just let them roll on by.  I new my goal for this race was to do my own thing.  As well, a 50km race isn't decided at 15km, there was plenty of time.  I kept talking to other runners, enjoyed the weather and soft trails, knowing that my strength is the 2nd half of the run.  I made sure I was eating and drinking, assessed how I was feeling and enjoyed my time.

I started catching runners before Chinscraper, the final climb.  I was so surprised to see the 5th and 4th place girls who had passed me on the hills.  More surprised to pass the girl who was 3rd.  She eventually dropped.  Once the climbing was done, I knew I had the speed to fly down the hills .  I caught Al on the down hill and we pushed each other the final 11 km.  

Photo credit Glenn Tachiyama - climbing Chinscraper.
I finished this run, giving it that hard and steady effort and ended up 3rd female, 1st masters and a couple minutes slower than last year.   More importantly to me, I felt in control of my body and race the entire time.  It gave me that boost in my confidence but also ended up being so much fun!  It helped me remember that can rely on my experiences as a athlete and run my own race.  

No comments:

Post a Comment