Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chuckanut 2013, running a new age

Sometimes when I run it's an opportunity to reflect on changes in my life.  This year Chuckanut provided more of an awakening, like being doused with a bucket of cold water (not just freezing rain).  I turned 40 in December and I've run 2 races in my new age division, but my age didn't really make a difference.  Now, don't worry, this is not a post on "aging" I hope that won't come for a while.  No, this is more because I realized how things in my life have changed over the past few years.  Subtle changes, for sure, but sometimes they become more clear during an event like Chuckanut.  

When my kids were very young, running provided a break from the sometimes tedious daily tasks of being a mom.  It was a social outlet and there tangible results, I got back into shape after having babies, toned up, lost weight...  Now my kids aren't little, (7, 10, 12) they are fun to take new places, they motivate me during training and races.  My time is more precious with them as their lives start to fill up with school, friends and activities.  I want to share my experiences with my kids and hope they will go on and follow their dreams and passions.  I was starting to realize how fast time goes by, so cliche, I know...but this was the stuff rolling around in my head mid race!!  Mentally, I had checked-out!

Why was this running through my head during Chuckanut?  I'm not exactly sure, but I think because by age was relevant in this race - it counted that I was competing in the masters division - and it started a chain of thoughts such as-how have things changed since I turned 40?  Who knows, maybe I was hungry and should have forced down another gel :)  Did this change my approach to the race or how hard I was willing to push during the race? No, but it meant working hard during the mid section of the race to refocus on running and staying present.  That's an amazing thing about ultra running, you can rein in your thoughts, focus internally on breathing, pace, heart rate, pull it together and finish a good race.  Looking back at it, Chuckanut ended up being a great day, I placed 6th this year, last year I was 4th, but I took 11 minutes off my time from last year and finished in 4:33.  I had a great time traveling and meeting up with friends ~ it was also great to catch up with the family at home.

It's great to be learning new lessons and realizing new things about myself out on the trails :)  Next race, I'll be prepared to keep that focus.




No comments:

Post a Comment